By: Nick Handley
See what I did there? It’s grilling season once again and you have probably heard me talk a lot about the quality of meat you get at Hy-Vee. That’s what my family goes with each and every time we fire up the grill. Quality matters and it comes through with the taste. I have expanded my grilling knowledge and recipes, and have spent time researching how important the selection process is. I love the fact that Hy-Vee has some of the strictest guidelines when it comes to what they allow to be sold to their customers. They choose quality over quantity yet you’ll notice the price is very affordable.
Here are some good facts to know about Hy-Vee’s Beef:
Fact #1: Hy-Vee has higher beef trimming standards.
· Hy-Vee Choice Reserve beef is trimmed with only one quarter inch of fat.
· You should get what you pay for. Pay for the meat, not for fat.
Fact #2: Hy-Vee’s beef vetting process is extremely strict.
· Hy-Vee hand-selects all of their cattle.
· Only an average of 6 out of 100 cattle meet Hy-Vee’s tight specifications for Hy-Vee Choice Reserve and Hy-Vee Prime Reserve Beef. You’ll find these items in the Service Meat case at Hy-Vee.
Fact #3: Hy-Vee Choice Reserve beef comes from the Midwest.
· At Hy-Vee, you’re getting the highest quality beef raised on over 800 family farms right here in the heartland.
Fact #4: Hy-Vee has corn-fed beef.
· Corn-fed beef has more marbling so you get better flavor. It also tends to be more tender and juicy than other types of beef.
· Corn-fed beef supports our local corn growers.
Fact #5: Hy-Vee has steakhouse-quality beef.
· The best restaurants serve prime beef—the same as Hy-Vee Prime Reserve beef you’ll find in the Hy-Vee Service Meat case
So as you fire up the grill, know what you’re serving your friends and family. Treat them to the best in Omaha. Also, be sure to check out the May edition of the Seasons Magazine (It’s free) with great information on Hy-Vee’s meat and awesome recipes.